TAKES 1 hour
100g butter, softened plus extra for greasing
275g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1/2 tsp baking powder
a pinch salt
125g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g dried cranberries
100g toasted flaked almonds
1. Preheat the oven to gas 4/180C/fan oven 160C. Grease 2 baking sheets with a little butter. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Weigh out the remaining ingredients into bowls.
2. In a bowl beat together the butter and sugar until light with a wooden spoon. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat again. Stir in the flour, baking powder, salt, cranberries and almonds to make a soft dough.
3. Sprinkle the work surface with a little flour. Divide the dough in half. Shape each piece with your hands on the floured surface into a flat log about 26 x 6 x 1.5cm in size. Put each log on a baking sheet. Cook for 25 minutes until golden and just firm. Remove from the oven, transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
4. Put the logs on a board and using a serrated bread knife, slice diagonally into 1cm thick slices.
5. Put the biscuits cut-side down back onto the baking sheets and return to the oven for 10 minutes until golden. Put on a wire rack to cool completely before wrapping and giving as a gift.